I used to watch Leave it to Beaver in syndication when I was a kid. I was quite saddened to learn of Tony Dow’s death at the age of 77 this past Wednesday. So, I thought I’d post my genealogical connection to him. We were distant cousins, 10th cousins actually. We shared Colonial American ancestors Edward Bangs and Rebecca Hobart. His line continued with Apphia Bangs and Col. John Knowles and mine with Hannah Bangs and John Doane, Jr. This is on his Dow lines. My Bangs/Hobart ancestors are on my Cole side way back in Colonial Massachusetts.
Edward Bangs and Rebecca Hobart are the ancestors of many well-known individuals including:
- William Rufus Day, 36th U.S. Secretary of State.
- Bing Crosby, Singer-Songwriter and Actor.
- Thomas Pynchon, American Novelist.
- Brewster Kahle, Founder of Internet Archive (Wayback Machine).
- Annie Proulx, Novelist and Short Story Writer.
- Tamsin Todd, CEO of Findmypast.
- Anna Gunn, Actress.
- Fergie, Singer-Songwriter.
- Avril Lavigne, Singer-Songwriter.
- Edmund Sears, Boson Tea Party Participant.
- Eugene Foss, 45th Governor of Massachusetts.
- Pres. H.W. Bush.
- Pres. George W. Bush.
- Charles Dawes, 30th U.S. Vice President.
- Norman Rockwell, Artist.
- Jeb Bush, 43rd Governor of Florida.
- Endicott Peabody, 62nd Governor of Massachusetts.
- Kyra Sedgwick.
- Taylor Swift.
- Orrin Hatch, U.S. Senator from Utah.
- James Taylor, singer-songwriter.
- Dan Quayle, 44 U.S. President.
- Pete Buttigieg, current U.S. Secretary of Transportation.
- Sydney Biddle Barrows, Mayflower Madam.
The first eleven listed share the next set of ancestors with me and are also descended from Hannah Bangs and John Doane, Jr. Five of those eleven also share Paine ancestors with me. The rest above are descended from Edward Bangs, the brother of Hannah Bangs and Apphia Bangs. To my knowledge, Tony Dow is the only famous person descended directly from Apphia Bangs and Col. John Knowles.
If you use any information from my blog posts as a reference or source, please give credit and provide a link back to my work that you are referencing. Unless otherwise noted, my work is © Anna A. Kasper 2011-2023. All rights reserved. Thank you.